I have the perfect dish in mind: Menemen. This is a scrumptious Turkish-style scrambled eggs cooked with tomatoes, green peppers, and a blend of delightful spices. It’s a popular breakfast dish, but it’s so versatile that you can enjoy it any time of the day!
- 3 large eggs
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 large tomatoes, grated or finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (adjust to taste)
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- Fresh parsley, chopped (for garnish)
- Crumbled feta cheese (optional, for serving)
- Preparation: Start by preparing your vegetables. Finely chop the onion, dice the green bell pepper, and grate or finely chop the tomatoes.
- Cook the Vegetables: Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and green pepper, sautéing until they soften and the onion becomes translucent.
- Add Tomatoes and Spices: Stir in the grated tomatoes, paprika, and red pepper flakes. Season with salt and black pepper. Let the mixture simmer for about 5-7 minutes until it thickens slightly.
- Scramble the Eggs: Crack the eggs directly into the skillet. Gently stir them into the tomato mixture until they are just set. Be careful not to overcook the eggs.
- Garnish and Serve: Remove from heat. Garnish with fresh parsley and optional crumbled feta cheese.
- Enjoy: Serve your menemen hot, ideally with some crusty bread on the side to soak up all the delicious flavors!
Menemen is a simple yet flavorful dish that really brings out the essence of Turkish cuisine. It’s quick to prepare and is sure to be a hit whether you’re enjoying it as a hearty breakfast or a comforting dinner.