Table of contents
Dampness, wind, temperature changes – classic winter weather. It is obvious that during this period we most often get sick: the immune system needs help, and if it is not there, the body weakens – hence the regular colds. How to help the immune system? It’s simple: lead a healthy lifestyle, do not give up physical activity, get enough sleep. Do not forget also that in winter we especially need vitamins and a balanced diet.
How to understand that the body lacks nutrients?
Avitaminosis is accompanied by symptoms familiar to most people:
- Always want to sleep. Drowsiness is the main symptom of vitamin D deficiency.
- Bleeding gums, you often catch a cold. This often indicates a lack of ascorbic acid.
- Hair falls out, which signals a deficiency of tocopherol.
- The skin becomes dry and flaky. The reason is the lack of B vitamins, retinol.
- Appetite worsens, which indicates a lack of B1, B6, B2. The opposite situation may also arise, when you constantly want to eat. This is usually the result of stress: in winter we lack the sun and positive emotions. Hence the desire to enjoy the second pizza of the day or a cake in chocolate icing. It is known that food rich in fast carbohydrates stimulates the production of hormones of joy, but does not bring real benefits to the body.
- Decreased productivity, often do not want to do anything.
- Lips crack.
What vitamins are better to take in winter?
You can get the missing substances in two ways: from vitamin complexes or with food. The first option involves a consultation with a specialist: the doctor will select the drug, taking into account your state of health. In this case, you will not harm, but help the body. The second option requires only power adjustments. Let’s figure out how to enrich the winter diet.
Vitamin A (retinol)
Retinol increases the resistance of our body to pathogenic viruses and bacteria, is responsible for the proper functioning of the organs of vision, and stabilizes the liver. A substance is also needed in order for the skin to look healthy and attractive. Another important action of retinol is the fight against wrinkles. That is why it is often included in the composition of masks and creams for the care of mature skin.
A lot of vitamin A is found in the foods we are used to:
- Dairy products (yogurt, milk, kefir).
Vitamin C (ascorbic acid)
This is the main assistant of immunity. It is not for nothing that many people, if they feel that they are getting sick, try to eat as many citrus fruits as possible (lemons, oranges). In addition, vitamin C is an excellent antioxidant. If ascorbic acid is critically low in the body, pressure rises, depression develops, and joints can hurt.
To avoid this, enrich your diet:
- Black currant.
Vitamin E (tocopherol)
Tocopherol is not in vain called a source of beauty: the substance is included in almost all skin care products. It is about him that they talk when they discuss what vitamins women and girls should drink in winter. Vitamin E is the key to youthful, radiant skin and shiny hair. It also normalizes the functioning of the nervous system, saturates the brain with oxygen.
To enrich the diet with tocopherol, add to the usual menu:
- Vegetable oil.
- B1 normalizes carbohydrate metabolism, energizes. Contained in yeast, buckwheat, oatmeal, peanuts.
- B3 / B5 are involved in the breakdown of fats, carbohydrates and proteins, the formation of vitamin D and cholesterol, and accelerate wound healing. There are many of them in the liver, nuts, eggs, milk.
- B6 does not allow the development of depression. The leaders in its content are cereal sprouts, potatoes, sweet potatoes, walnuts, spinach.
- B7 normalizes metabolism, maintains healthy skin and hair. Contained in legumes, liver, cauliflower, tomatoes.
- B9 will help maintain good physical shape. There is a lot of it in rye bread, broccoli.
- B12 prevents premature aging. They are rich in mussels, herring, cheese and eggs.
The substance has an antioxidant effect, helps the walls of blood vessels to maintain elasticity. There are many in:
- Dill, parsley.
- Rose hips.
- A pod feather.
Do I need to take vitamin D in winter?
Without this substance, the absorption of calcium and phosphorus is disrupted, bone tissue and teeth become brittle.
Thinking about what vitamins children need in winter? Vitamin D is essential for a child in the first place – especially when it comes to babies. Their musculoskeletal system is just being formed, and with a lack of substance, rickets, osteoporosis can develop, and there is a lag in mental and physical development.
Cholecalciferol (scientific name) is rich in:
- Oily fish.
- Dairy products.
- Red meat.
Please note that vitamin D, which is found in food, is synthesized in the body under the influence of ultraviolet radiation on the skin. Therefore, you need to take daily long walks on the street. With a deficiency of a substance in the body, the doctor will recommend taking cholecalciferol preparations.
Most vitamins are absorbed only in a certain environment. All of them are divided into two groups:
- Water soluble – B, P, C.
- Fat-soluble – A, D, E.
If everyone drinks water, then many avoid fats in order to maintain a slim figure. The complete rejection of these substances leads to the fact that vital vitamins are simply not absorbed. In addition, with vitamin deficiency, appetite may increase. And this threatens with the collapse of all the efforts of someone who, in the struggle for an ideal figure, denies himself fat-containing food.
The vegetables, herbs and fruits that we have indicated include parsley, dill, strawberries, apricots, and tomatoes. It is extremely difficult to get environmentally friendly, healthy products “from the garden” in winter. In this situation, homemade preparations will help out: berries, vegetables and fruits can be frozen in the summer. And then in the cold winter on your table there will be a full vitamin cocktail!