Flounder, halibut and flounder
One of the northern Russian cuisines is Pomeranian. We are talking about an ethnic group that lived (and still lives) along the Barents and White Seas and the Onega, Pechora and Northern Dvina rivers. Where there are water bodies, there are, of course, fish. It was fish dishes – primarily from salmon and cod (Pomors call themselves codfish for a reason) that were the basis of the cuisine of the Pomors. Ukha, pies – there are many options.
A traditional Pomeranian hit is a closed pie with rye flour, prepared from several types of fish.
Another example of local pastry is a pie called roast. Fish (only sea – for example, smelt) are fried to a crust – on the basis of dough.
In addition to fish, the cuisine of the Pomors includes mushrooms and berries. Soaked cloudberries, wild rose, lingonberries; fruit drinks, kissels, salted mushrooms – all this is not only tasty, but also healthy, saturates with vitamins and protects against diseases.
A similar “food set” is the basis of the cuisine of the Saami living on the Kola Peninsula. Is that complete with berries (including even reindeer moss, added to tea) and fish is venison. Fish dishes on the Kola Peninsula were also all sorts. For example, herring: it was stewed in a pan with water and oil, completely covered with grits.
Ear with buds and moss
The cuisine of the Karelians – another inhabitant of the northern regions – is similar to the neighboring ones: a lot of fish and pastries (from rye and barley flour). Fish is primarily an ear, and with ingredients that are unusual for us. Flour, moss, eggs, buds (pine and birch) can be added to the ear. The fish was also salted, soaked, fried.
What else makes up Karelian cuisine? Mushroom dishes, berry fruit drinks, pearl barley porridge, oatmeal pancakes. Tasty, but most importantly, satisfying.
- Fillet – 1 kg.
- Water – 2 l.
- Potato – 6 pcs.
- Onion – 2 1/2 pcs.
- Vegetable oil – 2 1/2 tbsp.
- Bay leaf – 2 pcs.
- Pepper (peas) – 6 pcs.
- Milk – 3 1/2 cups
- Cod liver – 2 1/2 tbsp
- Greens – 1 tbsp.
Step by step cooking recipe
- Cut the cod fillet and potatoes into cubes, and the onion into small cubes. Grate carrots on a coarse grater.
- Boil water in a saucepan, put potatoes, parsley, pepper and salt.
- Leave for a few minutes (3-4).
- Fry the onion in a pan, put more carrots and also fry for three minutes.
- Send the cod and the contents of the pan to the pan for six minutes.
- Pour in hot milk, add liver mashed with a fork and cook for a couple of minutes.
- Finely chop the dill and sprinkle over their soup.
Ear is ready!
- Fillet (salmon) – 300 gr.
- Fillet (chicken) – 450 g.
- Butter – 75 gr.
- Egg – 1 1/2 pcs.
- Wheat flour – 450 gr.
- Vegetable oil – 3 tbsp.
- Warm water – 150 gr.
Step by step cooking recipe
- Finely chop the fish.
- Sift flour, beat in the middle of the egg, mix.
- Add oil (vegetable), pouring in water – so that the dough does not lose elasticity.
- After kneading, cover with a towel and leave for 1 hour.
- Roll out and cut out a 30 cm circle from the middle.
- Put the fish on one side of the dough, mold the dough, closing the filling.
- Put on a baking sheet and put in the oven for 25 minutes at a temperature of 180 degrees.