Pizza chiena with the original Neapolitan recipe: here’s how to prepare it
Directly from Naples, here is the original recipe for pizza chiena. Typical of the Easter period, it is perfect for trips out of town.
Chinese pizza is one rustic typical of the city of Naples. Tradition wants it to come prepared on Good Friday and enjoyed the next day. This not only allows the flavors to mix, but also respects the Christian tradition which foresees a day of fasting, or at least lean, on Friday.
Unlike the tortano and the casatiello, full pizza is prepared with a dough similar to that of pizza, enriched however by the lard, an inevitable ingredient in Neapolitan cuisine. The filling is then based on tasty cheeses and cured meats, as well as a fair amount of eggs.
How to prepare the chiena pizza recipe
- First, prepare the dough. You can do it by hand or help yourself with the planetarium equipped with a dough hook.
- Put the farina into the bowl, then add thewater in which you will have dissolved the yeast. Start kneading and finally add the sale and it lard.
- Transfer to a pastry board, give the dough the shape of a loaf and put it in the oven rise for a couple of hours in the oven off with the light on or in any case until it has doubled in volume.
- In a bowl, beat the egg and add the grated cheese (Parmesan), combine cheeses e cured meat cut into cubes and pour the filling into the pan.
- After rising, divide the dough into two parts and roll them out to a thickness of 3 mm. Use the first to coat a 24cm tray.
- Cover with the other dough disc, sealing the edges well and bake at 170°C for 50 minutes.
- Leave to cool completely before serving.
This recipe is perfect for trips out of town of Easter Monday, but also as an aperitif for your Easter lunch. If you love traditional recipes, don’t miss the one of the tortano or the even richer one of the casatiello.
Chiena pizza with savory crust
This savory rustic dish typical of Campania cuisine can really be made in many ways and every family customizes it as desired: one of the better known variants it is in fact the full pizza with savory shortcrust pastry. Prepare two shortcrust pastry and make the rustic as previously indicated.
Even the filling can be modified: ricotta can be added, other soft cheesesas well as other cured meats such as bacon or cooked ham (cubed or thinly sliced).
If you want to try this version here is one video recipe:
We recommend keeping the savory pie for maximum 2-3 days in the fridge, well covered by the transparent film.
Sign up for the Primo Chef newsletter to find out about new recipes, advice and news. Before anyone else.
Reserved reproduction © 2023 – PC
#Pizza #chiena #original #Neapolitan #recipe #heres #prepare