Ingredients2 teaspoons olive oil
1/2 medium yellow onion, diced (about 1 cup)
2 medium carrots, peeled and diced (about 1 cup)
1 medium stalk celery, diced (about 1/2 cup)
4 medium cloves garlic, minced (about 2 tablespoons)
2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon ground turmeric
1 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon kosher salt + more to taste*
1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper+ more to taste
1 cup dry brown lentils, rinsed well in cold water
4 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
8 ounces (about 6 cups) baby spinach
Instructions1. Choose SAUTE button on instant pot. Add the oil. When it becomes hot, add the onions, carrots and celery. Stir occasionally until tender for about 5 mins. Add cumin, garlic, turmeric, thyme, ¼ teaspoon pepper, ½ teaspoon salt and stir constantly for one minute.
2. Pour in the broth and add the lentils. Mix.
3. Secure the lid and make sure that release valve is in SEALING position. Press ‘MANUAL’ and set timer at 12 minutes.
4. The pot will gain temperature and then start cooking after 10 minutes. After 12 minutes are up, flip the release valve to VENTING.
5. Remove the lid of the instant pot once the venting is complete. Add the spinach and season with salt and pepper.
6. Stays well in the refrigerator for 3 days. Freezes beautifully too.