Souvlaki recipe, the typical Greek marinated meat skewer
They are delicious and easy to prepare: here is the recipe for souvlaki, the marinated meat skewers originating in Greece.
Souvlaki are delicious skewers of meat typical of the Greek culinary tradition flavored with a marinade based on lemon, oil and herbs. Souvlaki really means “skewer” but the origin of this dish is rather debated, also because it is one of the oldest recipes of the country’s gastronomy. Like all recipes of this type, therefore, there are many variations: you can change the meat using chicken or veal, as well as adding vegetables to the skewer (although it turns out to be a less frequent version). Finally, the skewer can also be eaten on its own or placed inside a warm pita bread with sauces and vegetables.
Now let’s see all the steps of preparation!
Preparation of souvlaki
- First of all, dedicate yourself to the preparation of the marinade ingredients: squeeze the lemons to obtain the juice, filter it and pour it into a baking dish roomy. Add the oil, rosemary needles, oregano, pepper and salt and mix with a fork.
- Take the meat and cut it into cubes 2-3cm per side.
- Assemble the skewers with many special wooden sticks, then place them inside the baking dish with the marinade.
- Cover with cling film, place in the fridge and leave to marinate for at least half an hour.
- Once the marinating time is over, remove the skewers from the refrigerator, drain them from the marinade and cook them on a hot cast iron grill.
- Fate cook for 15-20 minutes turning the skewers occasionally.
- Serve the skewers with a vegetable side dish of your choice.
Alternatively, you can make lamb souvlaki or chicken souvlaki, two variants equally tasty to prepare the typical Greek dish, simply replacing the pork with lamb or chicken.
We recommend keeping this second course of meat for maximum 1 day in the fridgewell covered by the transparent film.
Sign up for the Primo Chef newsletter to find out about new recipes, advice and news. Before anyone else.
Reserved reproduction © 2023 – PC
#Souvlaki #recipe #typical #Greek #marinated #meat #skewer