soy cheese recipe
Often identified as a soy cheese, it lends itself to various uses: let’s see together how to prepare homemade tofu.
Tofu, also called soy cheese, is one of the ingredients of vegan and vegetarian recipes. The term cheese is actually a misnomer because tofu does not contain any milk derivatives. Homemade tofu is prepared starting from the fermentation of soy beans and the process takes place thanks to the use of nigari.
What is Nigari? It’s nothing else magnesium chloride. Basically it is what remains following the evaporation of sea water and after the removal of sodium chloride (common table salt). Also used in cosmetics and horticulture, the nigari in the kitchen is used to curdle soy milk.
How to make homemade tofu
- Wash the soybeans under flowing running water. Transfer it to a bowl and cover it with plenty of water. Let soy remarry for 24 ore changing the water at least once.
- After the soaking time, drain the soy and blend it with 500ml of water. You will have to obtain a mixture as smooth as possible and to do this you will need a very powerful blender. For convenience, you can perform the operation in several stages.
- In a saucepan, heat the remaining water and add the blended soybeans with the water.
- Bring to boil and put out the flame.
- With the help of a fine mesh strainer and cheesecloth, filter the liquid in order to separate the solid part, called soy okaradal soya milk real.
- Put the liquid back on the heat and do it boil for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile melt the nigari in a cup of hot water and add it when the liquid has cooled down. Mix gently and let the milk curdle of soy for 10 minutes.
- Coat the appropriate tofu mould with a clean, white dish towel or gauze.
- Take the soy flakes with a slotted spoon and gently transfer them into the mould. Remove the excess water, cover with the edges of the tea towel and press the tofu. Put a weight on it and let it rest. Times vary according to the desired consistency: after an hour you will have a rather soft tofufurthermore it will gradually become more compact.
- At this point you just have to transfer the dough into a container full of water for 20 minutes. In this way you remove the excess of nigari (responsible for a possible bitter taste) and you can then store it in a container airtight covered by water.
Homemade tofu without Nigari: the variations
You can replace the nigari with the juice of one lemon biological: the result will be almost identical.
The same goes for the homemade tofu with vinegar: it will take 40 ml of apple cider vinegar to replace it in this recipe.
Now that it’s ready, here’s how to cook grilled tofu!
Store the tofu in the fridge, in a container with a lid and covered with water for 3-4 days. You can also freeze it in the freezer in a special ice bag.
Sign up for the Primo Chef newsletter to find out about new recipes, advice and news. Before anyone else.
Reserved reproduction © 2023 – PC
#soy #cheese #recipe