tips and tricks to prepare them at their best
Boiled asparagus is one of the basic recipes of our cuisine. Let’s find out together how to prepare them without the appropriate pot.
Asparagus is the star vegetable of this season. Allows you to create dishes with a refined flavour and inviting, especially when served in the classic combination with eggs. Boiled asparagus is the starting point for many recipes: omelettes, crepes, savory pies but also bruschetta. In their basic version, however, they are fully vegan recipes.
So let’s find out what the correct way to cook them, without having to resort to strange utensils or particular pans. Simplicity in the kitchen is everything and it’s important to learn how to use the tools we have!
How to cook boiled asparagus
To get a good dish you need to start from good raw materials. So choosing asparagus is the first step. To do it correctly, check that the upper inflorescences are compact and of bright green colour, not open. The stem should be firm and green, with no marks or spots.
Once at home, use them as soon as possible to prevent them from deteriorating.
- The first step to take is wash them under running water.
- Then proceed into the remove the end of the stem. This operation can be done with a knife, making a cut about 5 cm from the bottom or by bending the stem so that it breaks by itself where the woody part gives way to the tender one.
- Now all you have to do is cook the asparagus. I find it useless to get the special pot for asparagus, therefore I advise you to use one large frying pan enough to accommodate them lying down. Fill it with water, add salt and when it comes to a boil, dip the asparagus. The cooking time for asparagus is approx 10 minutes.
- To keep the bright green colour, drain them and let the asparagus cool immediately water and ice.
Boiled asparagus is the starting ingredient of many recipes. For a light and simple side dish, all you have to do is skip them in pan with a drizzle of oil and a clove of garlic. In this way you will get a really simple and tasty vegan recipe. Try preparing an asparagus and strawberry salad, for a different side dish.
If you can’t get enough, here are all the recipes with asparagus that we have prepared for you!
Perfect boiled asparagus: 2 tips
– The cooking time of asparagus also varies based on their size. 10 minutes refer to a medium-sized vegetable, while if you have purchased small asparagus 7 will be sufficient. If they are very large, however, you can go up to 13 minutes.
– If you bought them but you already know you won’t use them right away keep them in the fridge in their paper or immerse the bunch of asparagus in a glass with two inches of water. In this way they will not lose hydration and will be perfect for when you want to get in the kitchen.
The asparagus cooked in this way can be stored in a container with an airtight lid for maximum 2-3 days in the refrigerator. Alternatively, you can also freeze them in the freezer for about 2 months: divide them into smaller bunches and place them in a bag suitable for freezing.
Sign up for the Primo Chef newsletter to find out about new recipes, advice and news. Before anyone else.
Reserved reproduction © 2023 – PC
#tips #tricks #prepare